The New Haven skyline. (Courtesy Photo / Public Domain / Charles Barneby)

A fire in New Haven’s Hill neighborhood early Sunday morning left two rooming house tenants dead, 14 displaced, four firefighters injured and many questioning whether the property was properly maintained by the landlord and inspected by the city.

The New Haven Independent reports LCI, the city’s anti-blight agency, appears to have not inspected the three-story house at 150 West St. in six years despite city rules requiring inspections every three years. It also interviewed three tenants who say the building’s smoke detectors did not work the night of the fire, and that the house had been split up so as to limit tenants to only one exit out of the building.

The paper reports the house is owned by a Bronx resident who appears to have not procured a rental license for the property but who they have been unable to reach for comment.